Friday, December 17, 2004

Data Recovered - Finally

What a week! In addition to work, there was the laptop going down on Monday - along with it being the last week of school for the children, temperatures dropping down into the teens, and holiday shopping & planning to do. I feel just a bit scattered this morning - LOL - normal I guess...

Nothing one more cup of coffee can't cure ;)

I called HP to speak with them about my laptop. The only option was to do a "system recovery", which would wipe all of my data and take the system back to factory specs. And if that didnt work, they would send me a new hard drive.

Fortunately, Paul was reading my blog, and emailed detailed instructions on how to remove the laptop hard drive, plug it in to my desktop system, and pull the data over.

Paul - I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do that!

Of course, my new Dell didnt have a place to hook it in, so I had to hook it in to my other desktop system (an older custom-built machine). Wouldnt fit... so I ran uptown and grabbed a converter kit, and I was in business. Then we enabled Networking and I was able to drag the data over to the computer I actually use.

Done. Data restored. WHEW :)

I had to do a lot of rearranging and cleaning here in the office - everything had to be moved to accomodate the "computer surgery", and of course dusted in the process. A good thorough back-up completed, too.

All in all, a successful recovery - and plenty more accomplished to boot!

Now that I have that behind me, we're working on the "system recovery" for the laptop. It will either boot to a fresh install, or HP will send me a replacement drive. Either is fine with me, now that I have my data :)

So it's back to work for me. A little catch-up, some re-organization of files, and I'm good to go! Fortunately, Albert is helping me out with the system recovery and working on reloading all of my programs to the laptop (fingers crossed he'll get that far) so that I can focus on catching up today.

It's nice to be back up and running! :)