Monday, May 09, 2005

Back on track... Finally!

I'm finally catching my breath and starting to find my place with the new location & routine. After several weeks of working hard, rushing, catching up, organizing and basically being wound tight with an overwhelming to-do list... I finally took some time off and had a very fun and relaxing weekend. It was absolutely wonderful (and much needed!) and just brought me right back to myself. I woke up this Monday morning feeling refreshed, motivated and ready to roll!

I've spent the better part of my morning accomplishing one thing after the other, and prioritizing the things that are still on my list for the week. I also finished Aaron Wall's SEO Book, which I've been reading a little each day over the last few weeks. There were a ton of great ideas and resources within those pages... I made so many notes on them that I'm going to have to go back and hit them again one at a time. Writing a full review of the book is definitely on my task list, so I'll let you know when I post that online so you can check it out.

Next on my reading list is Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. While I've read much of it in bits & pieces, I've never taken the time to sit down and read it cover to cover - so that's my goal for these last few weeks of May ;)

Reading isnt necessarily a priority for me - it's more something I'd like to make a habit. I like the idea of reading every day as much as I like the idea of eating healthy and getting exercise - part of an overall lifestyle I am working myself into. I enjoy reading, and I love to take walks or go for a swim... or even play ping pong with my daughter for 30 minutes to an hour after school.

For some reason, though, health & enjoyment are two things that most people mark low on their list of priorities... me included, up until recently. Being a workaholic doesnt help, and then there is "life" to manage - such as taking care of children, managing meals, getting the oil changed, yard work... you name it! As a single mother with a full-time career, work and "life" have taken up most of my time these last several years.

Things are changing now, though - and have been going in this new direction for the last year or so. There are a couple of factors at work there... the first being that my children are getting older and becoming more responsible and even helpful. And more recently the extra time that I have now that I am not taking care of Grandmother full-time. But the most important thing that has contributed to the "relief" and the ability to think bigger & plan bigger... is that the majority of my income is now passive.

This just basically means that I am making money even when I am not working. During the move, and the chaos that followed (ack!), for example - I was able to focus on the things that I needed to be doing. Not on "earning a living"... because that was (thankfully) taking care of itself while I was busy with those other things in my life.

I've put a lot of thought into all of this over the last few weeks, while I've been 'adjusting' to our new schedule & routine. I've listed out the things that are most important to me, in regards to my overall lifestyle (including a habit of daily reading, regular exercise and more emphasis on health - to name a few).

On the one hand, it's very tempting to spend all of my free time duplicating the things I've been successful with online. Even when I've taken "time off", I've usually been "thinking business" or coming up with ideas for eBusiness ventures or marketing tactics that I want to research.

Lately, though, I find myself spreading my focus across several areas. It seems that things are coming to somewhat of a balance, which is a good thing. Such as truly enjoying the time I spend repotting my plants, laying across my hammock swing in the back yard, a long ride out of town on a sunny day, or dinner out with the kids at our favorite restaurant.

Before, these things seemed almost frivolous to me - like I was wasting time when there was "so much to get done yet". My ultimate goal is to achieve the perfect balance (emotionally, physically, spiritually & financially), where everything runs smoothly and everything has it's time and place.

But... until perfection smacks me in the forehead, I'm very content to get my drive back in regards to work and my financial goals, and to see our home coming together so nicely - for things to be straightening themselves out and getting back to normal, anyway ;)