Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My Position as a JV Partner

I just received my review copy of Butterfly Marketing this morning - on launch date, no less. Unfortunately that left me no room to offer a full review of the package in time. I'll keep you posted as to when that review is posted, though.

Just as I sat down to write my thoughts, I found that an anonymous contributor had already posted a comment on yesterday's blog post that practically mirrored the things I was going to share with you myself. You can read that comment here (it's the first one after the original post).

I do agree with the comments that were left there, and I think it's a shame that so many that are following this campaign have been left with a sense of uncertainty about it all.

I think that there are some important lessons to be learned from this campaign, though. Whether you purchase the course and learn the strategies taught there, or not... there is plenty to be picked up just from watching it all unfold.

I am a JV Partner (a Joint Venture partner, or an affiliate) for the Butterfly Marketing promotion, so my thoughts are coming solely from that perspective...

I'm of the opinion that JV Partners and/or affiliates are a product developer's biggest asset. In fact - done right - a product developer can give all of his attention to those partners and to customer service, and never have to spend time actively marketing his own product.

If you treat them like gold, they will do all of the work for you. Give them a complimentary copy of the product, a great commission structure, the tools to work with, and plenty of time combined with timely follow-up... and you have a group of people who will promote your product(s) faithfully. These people will build your credibility, drive tons of traffic to your sites, post detailed reviews of your products and even recommend your affiliate program to their peers.


Obviously, that is not exactly how the pre-launch and promotion went for the Butterfly Marketing campaign. I am disappointed, yes... but I do want to say that I have a lot of respect for Mike Filsaime too, and I have to give him credit where credit is due.

As JV Partners, we were kept updated by email very frequently, and we were given several tools to work with from downloads to videos along the way. Unfortunately the download had it's errors and the review copies didnt arrive in time for us to review the material - and I'm afraid that will most certainly leave it's mark.

I think that one of the things that stood out even above that, though, was that I never really knew what the target market was for this product. It wasnt clear throughout the JV messages, and I still wasnt entirely sure after I read the "leaked chapter" (as noted here). That made it very difficult to promote, as I wasnt sure how to 'qualify' the traffic I would send to the main site.

All of that is behind us now, of course, as I have a copy of the Butterfly Marketing package in my hands now... and I intend to go through it piece by piece and see what it is all about. I've barely had time to scan over it all just yet. Once I took a quick look at all of the material, I threw everything to the side and went for the meat - the main book.

That's where I'll start... and I'll keep you posted on my thoughts ;)