Friday, September 24, 2004

Subscriber Speaks Out!

I'm subscribed to the majority of the major newsletters put out by the "Internet Marketing Experts", and plenty more published by the Joe Marketer's out there. I like to stay up to date with what's going on, what's coming out and who's saying what.

But lately it seems that many of these newsletters are getting 'stale', repeating canned information or just blatantly offensive. And sadly, a lot of this *crap* is coming directly from the people that used to teach us the value of building relationships, keeping it real, knowing your targeted market, etc etc etc.

Not to mention that some of them send emails several times a week - some of which say nothing except that another email is on the way. And if you have subscribed to one (or a few) of their sub-lists, you receive more than one copy of the exact same message! Um - I thought the point of a sub-list was so that you could receive very specific information on a particular topic - not the general marketing stuff... right?? {sigh} And on the other end of the spectrum, some emails that I subscribed to and read faithfully have just disappeared altogether!

So, have they given us up for the buck? Have they made so much money now that none of that matters anymore? Or are they just too busy to put the time into it nowadays? Just what is it, exactly?

I have been pondering this a lot lately, and even more so as I dig in and study copywriting and other techniques 'proven' to increase conversion rates. The more I learn, the more I study things that I come across -- or things that end up in my Inbox. Formatting, subject lines, sales copy, opt-in confirmations, bonuses... you name it. Web pages and sales letters too, of course, and ebook content even. All of these, and my notes about them, are going into my own personal Swipe File.

It's becoming harder and harder to find GOOD examples of email marketing. What you do see a lot of is: copy & paste content, promo-after-promo-after-promo, bad formatting, humor that just isnt at all funny, obvious 'fish tales'... this list could go on for awhile - I'm sure you've witnessed it all yourself.

That said, there ARE a few good e-newsletters circulating out there... a few that I read top to bottom the minute they come in, and generally always enjoy. And some of these are from the newer folks on the scene - fresh information, fresh perspectives... plenty of personality and individualism showing through, too.

At one point, I thought that publishing newsletters or ezines just might begin to phase out. But more and more I am thinking that there is plenty of room still for new people to step in and start up a very successful email newsletter - - even in the so-called "saturated markets" of internet marketing, affiliate marketing, etc. I just dont think they're so saturated at all - in fact, I believe there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that would love to switch over to a fresh publication with solid information, current resources - new stuff, new perspectives... new faces.

I dont know about you, but I feel a shift coming on. Things certainly seem to be changing, though it's hard to tell at this point which direction they are headed... I wouldnt be at all surprised if there were a virtual earthquake over at GuruDAQ.com in the very near future ;)